I have practiced law for over 35 years, initially with the Vancouver office of a large national firm (McCarthy Tétrault) then with the Courtenay law firm of Ives Burger (formerly Gibson & Kelly, and Gibson Kelly & Ives), and now with the Courtenay office of Ramsay Lampman Rhodes. My practice focusses largely on business law (corporate reorganizations, asset/share purchase and sale transactions, succession planning), real estate (acquisitions, dispositions, and developer sales & marketing compliance), construction law (contracts, dispute resolution, collections and builders lien), and wills & estate planning (including advance directives and powers of attorney).
I work for clients ranging from large corporations to small business proprietorships. My time as Mayor (Town of Comox 2008-2018) and work on various community organizations has given me the tools needed to resolve legal issues in a collaborative and cost-efficient manner, while keeping a keen eye on the big picture. My desire to serve clients ensures that their goals are achieved.
Clients often come to see me because they know me from other community endeavours, and have the experience of seeing me work well in other, non-legal settings. My knowledge of the community and local issues gives me an informed perspective that helps me understand client challenges and opportunities. In turn, that understanding allows me to offer strategic advice and representation that is cost-effective and efficient. I am prompt in responding to client inquiries and always try to keep clients informed as to file status.
- Buying or selling shares/assets of a business or professional practice
- Corporate reorganization work in concert with tax accountants.
- Preparing and filing disclosure statements under Real Estate Development Marketing Act.
- Drafting construction contracts for home builders and developers utilizing current forms.
Recognition + Awards
- Recipient, Comox Valley Chamber of Commerce President’s Merit Award 2021
- Appointed, Queen’s Counsel 2015
- Awarded, Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal, 2012
- Canadian Bar Association (since 1988)
- Certified Legal Coach (Legal Coaching Association, 2022)
- Law Society of British Columbia (since 1988)
- Dalhousie Law School, LLB 1987
- Queen’s University, BA 1985
Year of Call + Jurisdiction
- 1988, British Columbia
- Habitat for Humanity Vancouver Island North (since 2019)
- Vancouver Island Mountain Sports Society (since 2018)
- BC Seafood Festival Society (since 2021).
Past Community Involvement:
- Director, Comox Valley Economic Development Society (2018-2021)
- Mayor, Town of Comox (2008-2018)
- Councillor, Town of Comox (2002-2008)
- Chair, Comox Recreation Commission (1999-2002)
- President, Comox Rotary Club (1998/99)
- Director/Vice Chair, Canadian Homebuilders Association Comox-Strathcona (1996-1999).